6.13.2013

Guilt-free cookies, bread & cake- Love, Jordie

The following guest blog post is by my one of my longest friends, Jordie McGilvary, who is studying to be a dietician. She is always surprising and inspiring me with her healthy lifestyle choices, which you can follow on her instagram account, @brittany_jordie. People have requested her to start blogging about her clean eating habits, but until then, she's agreed to reveal some of her favorite guilt-free treats. She came up with the following recipes herself.
 I hope you enjoy her nutritious insights as much as I do!


__________________________________________________________


These are my “go to” baked goods. I love them and truly cant get enough. The cookies are way more processed than the banana nut bread and the carrot cake but I still love them. Adding protein powder to my baked goods really allows me to get more protein in my diet. Not too much, but some, and I typically don't think it's personally necessary. I used to make these and give them to my vegetarian friend because she definitely wasn't getting enough protein in her diet, and I'm sneaky.

I also really love adding unsweetened applesauce into my baked goods as a fat replacement. The applesauce makes my baked goods moist and chewy, and personally, I like that. It doen't taste too 
strongly so that's not a problem.

White Chocolate, Crasin Oatmeal Cookies
  • 1 package Betty Crocker oatmeal cookie mix
  • 1 large egg
  • 1 cup crasins
  • ½ cup white chocolate chips
  • 1 cup unsweetened applesauce
  • ¼ cup vanilla protein powder (optional)
Pre heat oven to 350 degrees F. Mix all ingredients together. Using a tablespoon, drop the batter onto a baking sheet and bake for 10-12 minutes or until golden brown. Cookies will spread a lot so make sure to space them well.



Banana Nut Bread

  • 3 eggs
  • 1 c sugar
  • 3 large very ripe bananas
  • 1 cup all purpose flour
  • 1 cup whole wheat flour
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1 teaspoon cinnamon
  • 1/3 cup unsweetened applesauce
  • ¼ cup vanilla protein powder (optional)
  • 1 cup nuts (optional)
Preheat oven to 350 degrees farenheit. Mash bananas in bowl. Mix in eggs and sugar. Stirr in dry ingredients a little at a time. Add in nuts. Pour into a greased bunt or loaf pan. (I use coconut oil to lightly grease my pan so the loaf comes out easily) and bake for 45-60 minutes.


Carrot Cake

  • 4 eggs
  • 1 ¾ cup unsweetened applesauce
  • 2 cups granulated sugar
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
  • 1 cup all purpose flour
  • 1 cup whole wheat flour
  • 2 teaspoons baking baking soda
  • 2 teaspoons baking powder
  • ½ teaspoons salt
  • 2 teaspoons cinnamon
  • 3 cups grated carrots
  • 1 cup chopped pecans
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease and flour a 9 x 13 inch pan using coconut oil and all purpose flour. In a large bowl mix together eggs, applesauce and white sugar with 2 teaspoons of vanilla. Mix in flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt and cinnamon. Stir in carrots and pecans. Pour into prepared pan. Bake for 40-50 minutes or until a fork comes out clean.

For frosting I mix ½ cup plain greek yogurt, 2 wedges of laughing cow light cream cheese, 3 tablespoons confectioners sugar, 1 tsp vanilla. Mix all together until smooth and creamy. Stir in ¼ cup chopped pecans. Frost cooled cake and keep refrigerated.









{original image: here}

No comments:

Post a Comment