6.23.2013

The Resort '14 Awards pt. 1

I've been skiming through resort '14 collections the past two weeks on style.com. A few collections have stood out to me more than others, though I definitely haven't seen them all (who has time to sit and scroll through that many collections?????? That seems overwhelming??????)

Since the fashion world has moved on to menswear shows, I will now make some commentary on favorites from resort.

The most wanted WEEKEND GO-TO outfit
Balenciaga
I am a huge fan of ribdriff. My new go to weekend outfit is a maxi skirt and some form of fitted crop top. It's so easy and comfortable. This look from Balenciaga wins my heart because it's something a woman can take from the runway and actually wear and live in. It might be intimidating for some to expose that much area of the stomach, but here is a fact: ABWEAR CIRCA 90'S FASHIONS ARE BACK, BABY (que TLC music videos). So many collections this season are exposing navels in all designs, both day and evening wear. This Balenciaga top is on the conservative side in comparison to others. The top is perfectly complimented by the high waist, relax fit pants that are somehow very formal. It's just a totally new concept of a top that I'm wild about. How fun would it be to wear that.

You didn't let me down, Wang.
View all here.

The collection most FUN to look at/ most PLAYFUL/ most artistically CREATIVE
Antonio Marras
I strongly encourage you to browse through this collection. It's artful, dynamic, graphic and just overall full of florals and frivolity #alliteration. Looking through it, I had to separate the illustrations away from the designs--was the artwork the reason I was in love with the collection? Would I love the designs by themselves? Would I want to wear them? With the exception of an all-too-voluminous overcoat, that answer is an astounding yes. Designers have really been getting a kick out of uber-volume pieces, so I get where Antonio is coming from with his jacket, but BE SERIOUS.

No self-respecting normal size woman is going to frolic about the town in a jacket that makes her 3 Olsen twins wider.

However, I find his combination of florals (something every single designer is up to lately) to be really inspiring. This piece especially tickles my fancy.

I mean, any picture from this collection is good enough to be a screen saver on my iPhone.
View all here.

The most likely to be worn by every early twenty something celebrity, myself included. 
J Mendel
This collection will be wanted by all those young, fit and rich. It's sassy but somehow, I still see a flecks of professionalism. Literally, only flecks. Most the collection screams, I'M SHEER, LOOK AT MY BODY, and things of the like. I'm a sucker for falling in love with evening gowns, and Gilles didn't disappoint in that category. This fluttery concoction of organza and chiffon(?) really pulls at my heart strings--also while being one of my favorite colors #blush.

Fueling my fire for high waist and ribdriff combinations, we have this look, also in blush tones. Fancy pants that aren't trying too hard.

It's a collection that all you have to do to love it is to see it. Fluttery is my favorite word to describe it. Maybe also, "swoosh." I'm partial to long sleeve gowns, and this one would make for a hell of a wedding dress. I mean, if you're into that sort of thing. Both marriage and unconventional wedding gowns.

There are teaspoon servings of Marilyn Monroe inspirations and quite a few Angelina Jolie leg slits. I'm kind of over the leg slit scene, but I don't think it's going anywhere. And despite what G. Rancic may say, I'm all over floor-length sheer designs. SHEER > SLITS, G., DON'T THROW ME IN FASHION POLICE COUNTY JAIL.

View all J. Mendel here.

Off to Sunday brunch. stay tuned for more Resort rewards.

{images: style.com

No comments:

Post a Comment